Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Right Front Occasionally Locks Up

Two winters ago, I noticed that the right front wheel would occasionally lock up and then free itself automatically.  I had originally thought that it was only when I was in 4 wheel drive, so I used 4WD sparingly until I could get around to fixing it.

Well we went to California for a year and the tractor sat in the yard.  When I returned this winter, we had two major snowstorms, both over 2 feet of snow.  When plowing the driveway with the loader, the right front wheel would occasionally lock up, but then it free itself as before.  Not a good thing I thought.  I though I had better get this fixed soon before I need to do heavy summer work.

Also when I drive there is a clicking sound on the right front side, so I decided now is the time to fix it.
I jacked up the from and took off the wheel hub and the knuckle arm.  So far all the bearings look ok to me.

When I spin the left tire, I can hear some clicking in the right side, so it must further inside the front wheel housing underneath the bearing with the bolt on it.

Driven Gear (40) - Bearings look OK to me!  Spins just fine

Driven Gear and Hub Assembly. Looks OK here

Drive Gear

Right front drive

Rolling Bearing (110). I think the problem is under this bearing. I hope.
I'm going to have to wait for better weather as rain is forecast for the entire week,

No comments:

Post a Comment